Wednesday, October 13, 2010

TOEFL Speaking Type 2

Independent Type 2: Choice

Time to prepare: 15 seconds
Time to respond: 45 seconds
Reading Section: None
Listening Section: None
Opinion: YES

OBJECTIVE

Using at least 2 reasons with examples/details, choose from one of the two choices offered, and explain the reasons behind the choice.

STRUCTURE (ALMOST IDENTICAL TO TYPE 1)

1) Introduction (Restate topic + State preference

2) Body 1
A. Topic Sentence (Transition + Specific Reason)
B. Specific details/example

3) Body 2
A. (Same as body 1)

4) Conclusion
A. Transition + Restate topic + restate opinion


SAMPLE QUESTION


Some people prefer to eat out at restaurants. Others prefer to eat at home. Which do you prefer and why? Use specific details and examples to support your answer.

SAMPLE RESPONSE

Although some people prefer eating at restaurants, I prefer to eat at home (RESTATE TOPIC + STATE OPINION) for the following reasons.

To begin with (TRANSITION), eating at home is less expensive (REASON #1). For example, a pasta dish at a local Italian restaurant might cost me ten to twelve dollars. However, I can buy spaghetti noodles, sauce, herbs and spices, etc. for less than ten dollars, and I could also prepare enough for more than one meal (PERSONAL EXPERIENCE)!

Additionally (TRANSITION), my home offers a more comfortable atmosphere (REASON #2). At restaurants, waiters are always running around, and other customers are talking around me. At home, I can listen to music that I enjoy. I can also turn on the television and eat while watching my favorite TV shows (PERSONAL EXPERIENCE). The dining experience is far more enjoyable to me this way.

To sum up (TRANSITION), I would rather eat at home than go out (OPINION + RESTATE TOPIC).


You should notice that I stated both choices and then selected my preferred choice. Some testtakers might say "Some people prefer to eat at home. Others prefer to eat out. If I had to choose, I would choose..." This format is TOO LONG. Your content is the most important part of your speech, so you do not want to spend too much time in your introduction (or conclusion).

"I prefer X rather than Y."
"I enjoy X more than Y."

These sample structures allow you to state both choices AND your opinion within the same short sentence. This allows testtakers to focus on their reasons and their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment